View Entire Map in Google
Fayette Volunteer Fire Department
On February 20, 1928 a meeting was held in Horle’s Garage for the general public to consider the purchase of a used chemical truck, as Fayette was without any kind of fire protection.
A short time later, a chemical truck was purchased from the Watkins Glen Fire Department with money donated from interested persons and the few businessmen. This was the beginning of the Fayette Volunteer Fire Department.
The first regular meeting of the Fayette Volunteer Fire Department was held at the home of Edward Abbott on January 17, 1929. The following officers were elected:
Chief: William Miller, Asst. Chief.: Howard Horle, Sec./Treas.: Donald Wolf.
On April 10, 1939 the members at the meeting voted to collect dues of 25 cents every three months
The meeting of May 1, 1939 was held in the hall above Wolf’s General Store. Every meeting after that was held in the hall above the store until a suitable building was purchased for a firehouse.
At this meeting, Ex Chief William Miller presented Joel D. Ritter with a gold plated Chief’s badge, to be given to each succeeding Chief.
The only money the fire department received at this time was from dues and donations.
On August 7, 1939 a regular monthly meeting was held and it was decided monthly meetings would be held the first Monday of every month. Plans were discussed for forming a Fire District. The amount of money to be collected from the Towns of Fayette and Varick was to be $650.00. It was decided at this meeting the ringing of the bell on the Reformed Church would be used as a fire alarm, as there was no siren or funds to purchase one.
In May, 1940 the Fayette Volunteer Fire Department became incorporated, under the laws of the State of New York. The first directors were Lawson Lambert, Russell Jones, Victor Stahl. The old Shiley Store next to the Grange Hall was purchased for the first firehouse.
The first meeting in the new firehouse was held on September 9, 1940. At this meeting, members were requested to help remodel the building in their spare time.
In Dececember 1940 the department received a gift of a $100.00 from the Fayette Juvenile Grange to help in the purchase of a sire for the firehouse. A siren was purchased for $270.00 and placed on the firehouse.
At the March 3, 1941 meeting it was decided to purchase a new pumper with a 350 gallon booster tank at a cost of $2,850.00
At the November 3, 1941 meeting, the by-laws and constitution were approved and adopted. There were a total of 99 paid up members.
April, 1946 the fire siren was removed from the roof of the firehouse and placed on the roof of the Wolf General Store.
March 1, 1948 the Wolf Store property was purchased with plans to convert the living quarters into a firehouse as the present firehouse was getting to small.
February 7, 1949 an Army crash truck was purchased, the tank was removed and placed on a used GMC chassis. Fayette was the first Fire Department in Seneca County to have a tank truck. The first meeting was held in the new firehouse.
April, 1950 uniforms were purchased with the Fire Department paying $15.00 toward each uniform. The dues were raised from $1.00 to $2.00 a year.
September 1950 extension to the Fire District was approved effective Jan. 1, 1951. A new GMC chassis was purchased. The tank was removed from the old chassis and placed on the new chassis, a midship pump was installed, making it a tanker pumper.
In September 1955 the mortgage on the new firehouse was paid off. In Feb. 1956 the mortgage was burned at a dinner held for the firemen and their families.
October 1959 a new International chassis, 1350 gallon Army surplus tank and midship pump were purchased. A tank truck was built in the firehouse by the firemen. An additional bay was added to make room for the new truck.
In 1965 Joel D. Ritter refused to accept Fire Chief due to ill health. The Fire Department voted to make him Honorary Chief and advisor as long as he is able to act. Lewis J. Sorrentino was elected Fire Chief, serving until December 1994.
July 1972, a Ford Super Van was purchased to be used as an Emergency Vehicle and to carry additional equipment. A barbeque shed was built at the rear of the firehouse to be used for fund raising dinners.
June 1980, a Sanford Mini Pumper on a four wheel drive Dodge chassis was purchased.
1993 Purchased used Ford Tanker from Hector Fire Department.
1995 Charles McCann was elected Fire Chief
1996 Robert Halladay was elected Fire Chief, serving until December 2007.
1996 Took delivery of a new Freightliner Pumper/Tanker
2004 the department was awarded a FEMA Assistance to Firefighter Grant for the purchase of a new Peterbuilt 2400 gallon Tanker,
2008 Joseph Chiarilli was elected Fire Chief, serving until December 2010
2008 Purchased used Pierce Pumper from the Caledonia Fire Department.
2011 Robert Halladay was elected Fire Chief
2012 Acquired a used Spartan Pumper, with a trade of the 1996 Pumper/Tanker.
2004 Moved into the new firehouse
2014 Held a mortgage burning party for members and their families